Your business’ logo is the identity of your company. Your logo may be the first thing people notice about your brand and you will want to make a great first impression. A good logo design should communicate something about the nature of your business, product, or service. What does your logo say about you?
Here are a few questions that may signal that it is time to update your logo:
- Are you happy with your logo? Or do you feel people are judging your logo against your competitor’s? Then it is time to change your logo so you are proud of it!
- When was it created? Do you use the same logo now that you did when your business was started? Think about how your business has evolved: Are you offering more services? Has the direction changed or has it streamlined to focus on a specific interest?
As a designer, one consideration I always keep in mind is how the logo will be reproduced. How detailed is your logo? Today’s design trends feature a clean, simple, and flat design. Effects such as bevels, embossing, and drop shadows are becoming a thing of the past and do not reproduce well when used on different mediums. Don’t overlook these concerns:
- How does it look when scaled down to fit on a business card or smaller 1 color ad? Is the text legible, and is the symbol easily understood?
- How would this work for embroiderers, screen printers, and promotional items that require solid colors?
- How does your logo look when used on your webpage or other mobile devices? Can your logo be easily converted into a button graphic for your mobile app?
Let’s think about your marketing material for a moment.
- Print: Where does your budget stand? Maybe your budget typically limits you to 1C or 2C ink. Are you frequently sacrificing important elements of your logo in order to stick to your budget? Multi-colored logos can become too expensive to print, so if you don’t normally use the extra colors your logo may have, maybe it is another reason to give your logo an update.
- Web: Is the design of your website up to date? Is it easy to read and navigate? Is it modern? If you said yes, then your logo needs to reflect the same. Your logo’s fonts, shapes, or color combinations could be making your company look behind-the-times.
Maybe you are not interested in a complete change of your logo. Perhaps it just needs an updated look that can be achieved by simply changing colors, fonts or simplifying the art. Corporations such as Google, Coca Cola, Starbucks, and Apple have made changes to their logo throughout the years, yet their main “look” is still recognizable.
Not only can minor changes strengthen your image and support your mission/vision, but they can also show your customers that you are staying up to date with your brand.
A good rule of thumb is to at least consider updating your logo once every five years. LKCS would love the opportunity to provide you with an updated version of your logo, or a brand new logo altogether! Contact LKCS for more information today.
Did you like this blog post?
Get more posts just like this delivered twice a month to your inbox!