Advertising has made many changes over the years. This infographic displays some of the major differences between advertising in the early days compared to today.
- The Association of American Advertisers, predecessor to the Association of National Advertisers, is formed.
- Most illustrations/graphics are hand drawn, photography is relatively new.
- Text is hand drawn or arranged individually using a letterpress.
- Ads are limited to printed media.
- Access to a wide variety of stock photography and illustrations.
- Computers streamline design for a fast turnaround time.
- Advertising is a well established industry. Between television, the internet, and print, ads are literally everywhere.
- The average American is exposed to around 4,000 ads per day!